Holiday Biscotti and the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap


This year I participated in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.  Food Bloggers from all over the contry made three dozen cookies and sent one dozen to three different randomly selected bloggers, and in return received cookies from three different bloggers. This was the brilliant idea of Lindsay at Love and Olive Oil and Julie of the The Little Kitchen.
For the swap I made Holiday Biscotti with chocolate chips and cranberries drizzled with white chocolate.  Part of the reason I picked biscotti is that it last a while and they are sturdy so I knew they would ship well.  I also love biscotti and the white chocolate makes them a bit more festive for the holiday season.  For me, biscotti is perfect with a cup of coffee for dipping.  I also love the taste of chocolate and cranberry.  The sweetness of the chocolate and the tartness of the cranberries make for the perfect combination.
My Holiday Biscotti were packaged up and sent out three different bloggers: Jessica at My Baking Heart; Alex at yums and loves; and Joanne at Eats Well With Others.  I hope that everyone who received the biscotti enjoyed eating them as much as I enjoyed making them.  
Once my cookies were sent, all I had to wait for cookies that were sent to me to appear at my door.  Everyday Mr. Apron and I would come home to see if any packages has arrived.  The cookies came at different times during which made the anticipation last all week and they came from around the country.

I must say Food Bloggers really are the nicest people.  All the cookies I received were fabulous and totally different.  Each blogger completely out did themselves sending me wonderfully packaged treats for the Holidays.  Here is a peak at the delicious goodies I received!
I received amazing white chocolate cranberry macadamia nut cookies from Stephanie at Okie Dokie Artichokie in Michigan.  I love macadamia nuts but rarely buy them, so these were such a treat!  And if the cookies I made didn't clue you in, I am a big fan of white chocolate and cranberry.
Allie at Allison Eats sent beautifully packaged Anise-Scented Fig and Date Swirls.   These cookies came to me from Philadelphia.  What I loved about these cookies is that they were more savory than sweet and completely different than anything I normally make. 
And the third box I received was from Erin at The Spiffy Cookie.  Erin sent me Andes Mint Chocolate Cookies and Mr. Apron loves Andes Mints.  He started eating these ones right away so I didn't even get a chance to take a picture of the pretty packaging.
I had so much fun with this year's swap I definitely want to do it again next year. If you are interested in participating in next year's Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap or learning more you can subscribe to the newsletter here.    

Here is the recipe for the biscotti that I made for the swap.  Happy Baking!

Holiday Biscotti
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 dried cranberries
12 ounces white chocolate, chopped

Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Line a heavy baking sheet with parchment paper.  Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend.  With an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, and lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.  Add the flour mixture and beat until just blended.  Stir in chocolate chips and cranberries. Form the dough into a log on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake until lightly golden, about 40 minutes.  Cool for 30 minutes.

Place the log on a cutting board.  Cut the log with a sharp knife on a diagonal into slices.  Arrange biscotti cut side down on the baking sheet.  Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes.  Transfer the biscotti to a cooling rack. 

Once biscotti are cool, place on parchment paper evenly spaced out.  Place the chocolate in a heat safe bowl over a pot of simmering water until chocolate melts. Pour melted chocolate into a squeeze bottle and drizzle white chocolate over biscotti. Let set until firm about one hour. 

Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

10 comments:

Baker Street said...

Great clicks! Love cranberries and white chocolate paired together!

Tiffany said...

I wish I could dunk these in my tea right now! :D

Joanne said...

Girl, I absolutely ADORED these biscotti! Thanks so much for sending them! There was many a coffee cup that was drank just to have an excuse to eat one!

Stephanie said...

Girl, these are gorgeous! How funny that your biscotti and my cookies I sent you almost have the same ingredients, even with the drizzle on top! :-) Great minds think alike! It was so much fun baking cookies and sending them off to you. Can't wait to do it all over again next year!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family said...

Those are gorgeous cookies and in return you got some very nice selctions. I too participated and thought it was just a ton of fun.

TheChocolatePriestess said...

w00t! Another person who did the cookie swap. This was my first time doing anything like this and my family was very negative about it until they got to share the cookies from others and eat the ones I made as well.

healthyfoodietravels said...

Oh my, both your biscotti and your received cookies look amazingly delicious :)
I had such a great time participating in my very first cookie swap! And you're right, the people are wonderful - the cookie deliveries to me were stolen by a nasty neighbor, and I'll even get a second batch because one of my matches is just so sweet!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

Your biscotti looks delicious! And you got some other really yummy-looking cookies!

Alex said...

the biscotti is great! thanks so much for sending! I think it's going to be gone very, very soon!

SlipperCityCakes said...

Your biscotti came out to beautiful! Great cookie for the swap! It was so fun to participate!

Post a Comment