Eggnog Rum Cake


Eggnog and rum, two of my favorite flavors.  Since eggnog cookies were such a hit, when I was trying to decide what to make for Christmas Eve, I thought this would be a fun cake to try when I found this recipe. It was very light and moist.  It had the subtle taste of eggnog with a hint of nutmeg.  The rum taste wasn't too strong at all. I actually prefer it stronger. 

The original recipe didn't have a glaze, but I felt like it needed something on top.  I used a rum glaze similar to the one I make for the eggnog cookies, which I think gave it the extra kick it needed. 

I must make a confession: this cake is semi-homemade. Semi-homemade is not my preferred baking method. I really do think that baking items from scratch is worth the time and energy, but when its Christmas Eve and there is not a lot of time and the to do list is long, tough decisions have to be made! As it is, I ended up making this cake at 5:30 AM, so I do not even want to think about what time I would have had to get up if I made something from scratch.

Even though it isn't a made from scratch cake I would make this again.  I have a mini bundt pan, and I think individual cakes would be very festive, especially with lots of holiday sprinkles!  


Eggnog Rum Bundt Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons rum
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups eggnog
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease bundt pan well. Using a hand mixer, mix other ingredients well, for five minutes. Pour into pan. Bake at 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes and then invert onto a plate.

Adapted from Food.com

Rum Glaze
¼ cup butter, softened
3 tbsp. eggnog
1 tbsp. rum
pinch of nutmeg
2 (or more) cups confectioners’ sugar

Cream together the butter, eggnog, rum, nutmeg and confectioners’ sugar.   If too thick, add more egg nog (or rum depending on your tastes) to thin out so it will easily drizzle over cake. Using a ladle drizzle over cake, allowing it to run down the sides. Add holiday sprinkles if desired.




11 comments:

Veronica Gantley said...

Semi-homemade? Hey, take those shortcuts whenever you can. It looks almost to pretty to eat. The glaze makes it. Does it require refrigeration?
Veronica

Kate said...

Sounds incredible! You're so right to take the shortcuts - much better to be awake to enjoy the party :-) Happy New Year!

The Cilantropist said...

I have a weakness for bundt cakes.. and eggnog! Sadly my holiday went by without having any of either, wish I could have a bite of your cake. :) i have some eggnog cookie dough in my freezer that I never got around to making, but I checked out your other post and mine look a little different than yours. either way, definitely two great recipes!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

This looks so delicious! I think I've got just enough eggnog in the fridge...

briarrose said...

What a cool idea for eggnog use. It looks lovely.

Laurie Alves said...

I love this Recipe! Thanks so much for creating such an easy and delicious recipe!

Ivy said...

Thank you Alayna for visiting my blog. It's a pleasure meeting you. I don't know much about Albanian recipes and I am looking forward to learning some from you. The cake looks delicious. Happy New Year.

Ms. WhitePlates said...

I was never really much a fan of eggnog then I became an appropriate age to drink it with rum and you know, it's pretty good! I'm such an advocate for baked from scratch too and when I made brownies from a box (it was organic which made me feel at least somewhat better) for my son's daycare Christmas party I felt pretty lousy. Not lousy enough to show self restraint from eating them like a fiend. Sometimes, it works.

The Pink Apron said...

Thank you everyone for such nice comments!

Veronica, the glaze does need to be refrigerated if it is not being served immediately. Refrigerating will also help it to set.

Amy said...

I heart cake mixes - they guarantee a perfect cake every single time! Well done, this is gorgeous!

Pauline said...

Like the look of this a lot - very inspirational especially the glaze - yum. I also had an eggnog truffle from Godiva's this year which was also good. Could be a theme coming on. Did I say I like the look of this ;-)

Post a Comment